We live in a fast-paced world: our need to be connected 24/7, and the constant barrage of information we receive, can lead to physical and mental exhaustion. The ancients predicted a time of ‘cold depression’ at the interface between the Piscean to Aquarian Age. Here communication is instantaneous, we are able to travel at whim and multi-tasking is rampant. However all of the benefits of modern technologies are taking a toll as our bodies and minds are unable to keep up and the result is breakdown.
- Lack of sleep and poor sleeping habits are on the rise.
- We spend more time at work and take fewer vacations then the previous generation.
- Depression is on the rise – growing at the rate of 20% / annum in the USA alone and it is predicted to be the #1 medical cost by 2020.
- Digital dementia, blackberry thumb, road rage, multi-tasking, decreased productivity are on the rise.
- Diabetes, heart disease, obesity and cancers are on the rise largely due to decreased physical activity.
- Information overload, overwhelm and burnout lead to increased suicide rates with Hong Kong having one of the world’s highest rates for teenagers.
- Our default mode is reactivity rather than planfulness.
My belief is that by taking a step back, to offer a chance to reflect, we may gain the clarity and understanding we seek for the choices we make. Everyone, regardless of their age needs a time out. - To disconnect from technology, from societal pressures and to simply ‘be’. Red Doors offers practices that are ancient in origin yet relevant today. By stepping back, taking a pause to breathe and reflect, we may then lead a conscious life of choice.